Starter Bows

Archers share their stories, tips, etc.

Starter Bows

Postby gnastynate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:44 am

Hey everybody!

I have a question for you guys who have more experience in the traditional bows. What is a good starter bow that isn't real expensive? I've always wanted to get into traditional archery, I just hate sights on a bow for some reason and I am a pretty good offhand shooter. I bought a home made traditional English longbow off of ebay a year or so back and I like it, but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for in the long term, it's too long and is kind of an eyesore and I'm afraid if I sand & polish too much I might damage the bow. I'd also like a bow with an arrow rest of some sort but would rather it be traditional traditional and not just a modern poly carbonated whosey whatsit bow that doesn't have sights. I'd like to have a bow that was actually used at some point in history.
gnastynate
City Slicker

Postby Bubba in FL » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Welcome Gnasty.

Traditional bows can be broken into a few different catagories:
1. Primitive - no laminations, generally made of one piece of wood, very rustic and, well, primitive, mostly shot by purists
2. Custom Recurves and Longbows - bows made from laminates, generally made to order from premium/exotic woods at specific draw lengths/weights - very nice bows - generally very expensive (over $500)
3. Factory produced recurves and longbows - made from laminates, but mass produced, usually don't have the "character" of a custom bow, but are also less expensive. Bear, Pearson, Bob Lee, Hoyt and Martin are some names.
As a starter bow I would look for one of the factory bows mentioned in #3 - preferably used, but in good shape. Take a good look at the bow before buying and make sure it doesn't have any cracks and that the limgs are not twisted. If you can get the bow conditionally for a week to try it out, all the better. If you are used to shooting a 60-70 pound compound, figure on shooting a 45-55 pound recurve. For a "fun" bow 35-40 pounds is great, a bit lighter than I prefer to deer/hog hunt with, but nice to shoot a bunch of arrows at foam with.
One last thing - if you like a longbow, but do not like the "no shelf" thing - more of the new longbows are coming out with a recurve type grip which tends to give you more of a "center shot" than the older Howard Hill typ longbows.
Once you put away your training wheels, you'll never go back
Peace
Don
"Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Acts 10:13
Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby Da_north2100 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:41 pm

gnastynate,

Welcome to COFA, I’m not a pro at traditional but I might be able to give an opinion or two. I would suggest a couple of options for you, first depending on where you live, see if there are any traditional groups in your area. If so go to one of there shoots and test out some of there bows, I’m sure and almost positive that everyone there will let you shoot there stick.
This does a couple of things it let’s you shoot very expensive bows and cheap bows, long bows, short bows, fiberglass bows and wood bows. Did I mention all the deferent arrows you will get to shoot also with these bows. :grin:
When you find one that you like or feel comfortable with ask questions, who made it, how much was it and how can I get one. With groups like traditional bow shooters they will be more than helpful.
I say all of that because only you will know what feels right to you, we all have our own style and opinion as to what to shoot. Some guys will shoot a $1000 bow and say it’s the best others might shoot a $50 garage sale bow and say it’s top of the line. What do you want to do with the bow? Hunt, sport shoot, stump shoot or just hang on the wall, it’s up to you. By finding a group in your area you will save yourself a lot of time and money narrowing down what you’re looking for. Try sport shops also that carry traditional bows.

If you don’t have a group in your area then we will help you in anyway we can, even if you have a group in your area we will help.

You can look at Cabela’s I bought my first recurve there for I think $125-$150 it was a PSE Impala takedown bow great starter bow and I loved shooting it. I then found a bow made by Northern Mist and I have been shooting it for the last 5 years. I gave the PSE to a guy who wanted to learn I told him that when he felt ready to buy a better bow to give it to someone who wants to learn. Kind of like pay-it-forward way of looking at it.
Not sure if that helps but Glad you’re here and hope we can help.

Jim :lol:
Psalms 40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
Da_north2100

Postby Bubba in FL » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 pm

I'm with DA all the way. The best way to go about getting into traditional archery is to attend a shoot. Lots of vendors and lots of different bows to look at and shoot.

Best of luck in your search!

Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby gnastynate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:30 pm

There's nothing here local that I'm aware of, I know there's people in the area who use traditional bows but I know of no organization or meeting of them. I'll keep my ears open for something though. Thanks for your replies guys.
gnastynate
City Slicker

Postby Da_north2100 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:16 am

Don’t give up, go talk with the guys you know shoot traditional bows I know they would be glad to share any info they have. Plus you will create new friends. Take your time don’t rush into a bow or style ask lot’s of questions and do a search for any traditional shoots that happen in the summer and attend one. I know here in Michigan we have several shoots throughout the summer months and even fall bow-hunting camps that take place.
Web sites: These might help you find someone close to your area.

tradgang.com and bowsite.com

Jim
Psalms 40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
Da_north2100

Postby Bubba in FL » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 am

Here are some in Missouri

Bootheel Traditional Bowhunters- Dale Walker 61 David rte 3 Sikeston Missouri 63801 Phone # 573-472-2537
Buffalo Tongue Traditional Bowhunters-Jerry Bauman, 10 Sunnyfleld Rd., St. Peters, MO 63376, (636) 397-3725, ado@gte.net.
Flatrock Traditional-Ben Gueulette, 3244 W. Lombard, Springfield, MO 65802, (417) 865-5275.
Two-Dogs Traditional-Roger Niawonger, 105 Beacon Hill Dr., St. Charles, MO 63301, (314) 947-4061.

I hope these are helpful!

Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby gnastynate » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 am

I might be able to get to the Springfield area, but with my job it's doubtful.... that's been part of my problem so far, I just don't have the time to devote to any of my hobbies like I should. Thanks for the effort though.
gnastynate
City Slicker

Postby Bubba in FL » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:16 am

Sage wisdom I was given years ago - I don't live to work, I work to live!

&

Work is for people who don't know how to hunt & fish!

Seriously, good luck in your search - tradtional archery is a blast!

God Bless

Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby Lizette » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I starting with a compound and then moving into a recurve.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Return to Traditional Bows