Traditional archery and Christianity

Archers share their stories, tips, etc.

Traditional archery and Christianity

Postby Anointed Archer » Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes, I know you are scratching your head wondering what these two things have to do with one another. Well if you don't mind I will make my best attempt at explaining how I see the two very closely related.

When I first got into archery many years ago it was pretty simple. For $35.00 I purchased a 55lb 58inch Ben Pearson recurve (I think it was a Mustang), with a 1/2 dozen 2117 arrows, a Quickie Quiver, arm guard and a shooting glove. From there I went to the farmer down the road bought 4 bales of straw for $1.00 (that is a $1.00 for all 4 bales) then I took an 8 1/2 x 11 inch piece of note book paper and a black marker and made a target. I would spend hours shooting and retrieving arrows. I got to where I could hit the plate or near it most of the time from about 15 yards out, and I must say I felt pretty good about that.

Well from there the hi-tech industry hit and supposedly things just kept getting better and better, at least so I thought. Compounds where the in thing now, the manufactures reps put a lot of pressure on you to buy these new hi-tech bows saying you owe it to the animal to have a fast humane kill. Ok so I bought a new compound, well if your going to have one of these here compounds you need to have sights and if you’re going to have sights you got to have one of these here releases. Well that's a good start, but you really should have a stabilizer and a peep site also. Oh yea by the way did I show you this new bo-doddle arrow rest, it's the best you can buy. Of course you want one of these new hard plastic bow cases so your bow won't get banged around in your truck. Well $900 dollars later I was off to the range!

Well I was thinking I was all set, but nope not yet. Went to shoot the paper target I had put on the bales of hay in my back yard but the bow was so fast the arrows went right through the hay out into the weeds. So back to the archery shop I go to let them know about my new problem and of course they had a cure for that, for some more of your hard earned money we can sell you one of these targets that look like a real deer and your new bow won't go through them. By the way son, you do have your new Mossy Oak camouflage rain resistant scent free hunting suit don't you? You can't kill any deer without one of them. Hey and how about one of these GPS things it will take you right to your stand. Oh you don’t have a portable tree stand?

By the time I bought everything I needed to kill a deer I was too poor to go hunting and had to start lifting weights just to keep in shape to carry all the new stuff I had to have to kill deer.

The addiction got greater and greater and every year I had to have a faster bow, better arrows and the latest gadget. Then one day I was hunting with my daughter when a big doe came out about 37 to 40 yards and started milling around. I already had a deer or two in the freezer but just because I could I drew down on here squeezed the trigger and in less than 30 yards I watched her pile up in a heap. Although my daughter was real excited something inside of me was empty and unsatisfied. Shooting that deer was as simple and has emotional as punching holes in the foam deer target I had in the back yard, something was missing. What was it? I kept searching deep inside what was missing. Then it dawned on me, I had lost my first love! I had replaced all the things that made the hunt the hunt with bells, whistles and gadgets all that was left for me to do was pull the trigger.

That is the same slow evolution I see the church of today is in. Things started out very simple. Jesus told us to love God with all of our heart, soul and mind and to love others as we would love ourselves, then he said go and make disciples of all nations. To me that is pretty simple straight forward just like shooting a longbow or a recurve bow.

However as time went on and people have gotten caught up with the latest and greatest new gadgets of Christianity, we have actually made Gods plan of salvation so complicated, confusing and distant people don't want anything to do with God and His plan for their life. It's easier to get a concealed weapons permit then it is to get accepted into some local churches.

We seem to be so wrapped up in our new programs and building projects we have forgotten all about what the main point of Christianity is. Jesus asked us to feed the poor, take care of the widows and visit the ones in prison; he has called us to set the captives free and to make disciples of all men. Yea, I know you have pastors who do all that stuff, all we need to do is show up for an hour on Sunday and we are good to go. That is what we think, this is so sad but so true, the church has fallen for the hi-tech religion and has drifted away from its first love! Jesus Christ and His people. Jesus has called us the individual people into the royal priesthood!
We are the ministers of the gospel.

We need to get back to our first love and minister to one another, to feed the poor, to share your excess with a neighbor that is not doing so good. To tell your hunting buddy what Jesus has done for you? To get involved with a local body of believers, to get involved in your community, to get involved in your kids life, to get involved in your neighbors life, to get involved in your local archery organization where some people have never seen or experienced the love of God, to get involved in the life of Jesus Christ.

Get back to the basics. Trade in all your religious hi-tech gadgets and distractions then get back to your basic traditional values! Loving God and loving others.

It's time to stop just going to church! It's time to be the Church!
Michigan 1908, Preamble. We, the people of the State of Michigan , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of freedom, establish this Constitution.
Anointed Archer
Junior Scout

Postby Da_north2100 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am

You had me at “Hello”, thanks Jeff I now feel convicted. All because I bought a compound bow…..Just Kidding.

Very true, we have made church almost into a Hollywood style of services. I will admit working with the youth who is the multi media generation has taught me a lot over the last few years. I’m finding myself going back to where it all began the way it was before videos, cd’s, and MP3 players. We have pushed people to the point that they don’t even want to hear the word Jesus or God. Is living a Christian lifestyle that simple, yes. Can sharing the gospel be done just by words from our mouth, yes.
Many times I have justified why I needed this or that to get someone saved or to witness to someone. I have done the same thing in my hunting life, I need this rest to shoot this arrow so that these broad heads will hit there mark. When all the time I just needed to have faith in my equipment that I already had and practice until I was comfortable enough to go out into the woods. Then I only needed to be patient in waiting for the best opportunity to draw, aim and release. Fred Bear didn’t always hunt with camo on, he had a flannel shirt a pair of kakis, his hat and his boots then he was off. Why do we need to put our faith in a box? Why does it have to be complicated with everything? Which Jones’s are we trying to keep up with?

I personally have started going back to the simple ways of sharing the gospel and that is one person at a time through the sharing of the word and being a witness in my walk. It does not mean I have given up on my passion of video production and using that to reach others but I know that for most people in our nation today they are tired of being lied to and deceived. They want someone they can trust and call friend.

Good stuff Jeff, thanks I needed to read that today.

Jim
Psalms 40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
Da_north2100

Postby AnointedArcher » Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks Bro! And I know you know this, I am not againist hi-tech, I am againist things trying to replace the simple truth of the gospel.

Now as far as archery equipment goes that is a whole other matter :lol: :lol: :lol:
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

Postby Rob Jones » Wed May 20, 2009 6:04 am

Jeff I had a similar revalation on beaver island a few years back with you guys shooting a pint sized deer at 65 yards and having it only go 25 yds before passing.

It was kind of like that when I first accepted the lord at hunting camp in the up about 7 years ago when I was shooting a borrowed recurve in borrowed hunting gear and so on and so on.

I have given up the high tech archery stuff as you know and really fallen in love with what I use now. Just as in my walk with christ I may get sidelined here and there but every once in a while I shoot a good arrow with my recurve and it points me back on track

thanks guys
You can never walk on water if you dont step out of the boat!!
Rob Jones
Senior Scout

Postby AnointedArcher » Sat May 23, 2009 7:28 am

One of these days you need to jot down your testimony as it is very cool! I will never forget that hunting trip we took up to the UP and you got a shot at your first deer.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

Postby Rob Jones » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:19 am

you mean the one that my arrow went right under and I looked at the bow and the serving came undone and the nock point was two inches high??
lol
You can never walk on water if you dont step out of the boat!!
Rob Jones
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am

Great info, and a great read, thanks for sharing!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Traditional Bows