any folks make their own gear

Archers share their stories, tips, etc.

Postby AnointedArcher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 am

I make all my own arrows, at this point in time I have had no desire to build a bow but I could see it happening down the road sometime!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

Postby Bubba in FL » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:31 am

I'm with Anointed Archer - I make my own arrows (my hunting arrows I use Wild Turkey feathers off of birds I've killed) - I think I would like to build a bow someday. There is a group that I have heard of in Tennessee where you are there for a week and build your own bow then you shoot the competition with it over the weekend. I'd like to try that some day.
"Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Acts 10:13
Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby silvertip » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 am

I think thats a self bow deal...very cool...if any one needs any help with these things maybe we can do an article like smokewagon and I are doing for the reloading section...

making arrows is in my opinion an essential part of being an accomplished archer... I would like to also help folks learn to craft their own...

years ago I made about 100 dozen arrows a year...all trad cedars ...it was kind of like cutting firewood...after a while you would just as soon not have to do it...but after time you miss it !

dipping,cresting using a burner even possibly?? and also just basic fletching for modern gear too...vanes and aluminum or carbon...

let me know what you guys think...Mike and I are looking for areas where we can expand our ability to help to folks out there that need a jump start in doing things like this...t :grin:
silvertip

Postby LJ Whitson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 am

Are there bow kits for hunting that can be purchased. Seems like that would be fun to make a bow.
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."
LJ Whitson
Trail Guide

Postby AnointedArcher » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Oh yeah, Three Rivers Archery can get you started.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cat.asp?c=49&s=0&p=0
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
AnointedArcher
Senior Scout

Traditional Archer's

Postby birdman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 am

Silvertip, I am not sure where you live as your post is marked as being a guest without any location/state, but here in CO there are a number of traditional bow makers. Recently I ran across this article, http://www.wwmag.net/archery.htm, online from a guy named Alton Safford. He has been making traditional bows since he was 9. I found the article very interesting.

I shoot a bear Kodiak recurve that I bought back in the 70's and someday would like to make myself a really nice longbow.

For those bow hunters venturing to CO through the Denver area there is a traditional bow shop in Castle Rock, CO called Bob's Archery. Bob has been in the business for over 30yrs and is very knowledgeable about the industry.
birdman
City Slicker

Return to Traditional Bows