Cleaning Muzzle Loaders

Black powder hunters share stories, tips, etc.

Moderator: DaveHawk

Cleaning Muzzle Loaders

Postby 4Bear » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Dave,

Unless you are adverse to using mmodern powders, I recommend Triple 7. It cleans up with water. No kindding, just water. At the range, I just use a spit patch to swab the barrel with a range rod.

Tony Bridges writes in his book that it is necesary to use a wet patch frequently with Triple 7 because it forms a deposit about three inches from the breach plug.

The man has it together. I was having real problems with consistency until I read this. It seems that the deposit makes it very difficult to properly seat the sabot on the charge everytime.

Once I took his advise and started using the spit patch about every third shot, I began to see minute of angle or better accuracy.

I am shooting an Austin Haleck 420, using Hornady SST (250 grains) and 105 grains of granular Tripple 7.

Warning! Three pellets of Tripple 7 are the same power as 100 grains of granular. If you try to use the granular in the same amounts, it can lead to disaster. It seems that Hodgen made a marketing decision to reduce the power of the pellets when they came out with them.

This set up is leathal and practical out to 250 yards. I get 8 inch groups at this range using a 3-9 Leopold scope.
2 Cor 5:16

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view...
NIV
4Bear
City Slicker

Postby DaveHawk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 am

$Bear I did reenactments and rondivos for about 15 years and I've built some nice gun. 54, 50 flinters. I didn't know about trip 7 coming in a pellet, thanks for that info. I don't keep up with the latest m mussel loading stuff these days it's enough to do trying to content with bow season and turkey and work LOL
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Carroll B » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:27 am

At the range last summer I was trying to find a powder load and sabot combo that I could get the second sabot down the barrel and seated on the powder charge in a hunting situation. I was shooting 777 pellets and also loose Pyrodex. Someone at the range loaned me two other powders. I was cleaning the bore with #13 cleaner about every other shot. When I got home I was busy and didn't clean the gun for two days. I thought it is stainless steel it will be okay. The gun was an Omega. When I tried to get the breech plug out I couldn't. I had to put the barrel in a vise and use a socket with a 12 inch ratchet to break the breach plug loose. That combination of powder had started to etch the stainless steel breech plug. I learned my lesson about cleaning my gun as soon as I got home.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby 4Bear » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Not sure what those other powders were. In my experience, hot gases will blow carbon back into the breech plug threads in any gun and it is important to maintain high temperature breech plug grease on those threads. As a rule, I will remove the plug, clean and lube it after about 20 shots. I don’t like to postpone cleaning my muzzleloaders at all.

Triple 7 cleans up really easy, just wet patches followed by dry patches. No more pouring scalding hot water into the barrel. The breach plug still needs maintenance.
2 Cor 5:16

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view...
NIV
4Bear
City Slicker

Postby Lizette » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 am

Well, all you really need is hot water.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Ah a little old fashion cleaning patch that has been laying in the cheeks for a time will do the job LOL.
When I get back to the shop I use a product that is used in Fire restoration called shout Eraser diluted 10% to 90% warm water , this stuff get everything. Then a clean hot water patch and then dry patch.
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Return to Black Powder Hunting