CVA...Optima Vs. Kodiak

Black powder hunters share stories, tips, etc.

Moderator: DaveHawk

CVA...Optima Vs. Kodiak

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 am

I'm looking into getting a new ML. I don't want to spend much. I don't need anything fancy. I usually hunt with a rifle or bow. We just have a short ML season in Sept. and I'm looking for a way to do some more hunting. I've shopped around and found the Optima for $180 and the Kodiak for $230. I don't have a lot of experience shooting muzzleloaders. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with either of the two. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby turkeyjv » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:29 pm

I use a CVA Kodiak 50 cal. and love it. I use (2) 50 grains pellets and it works great on deer in Ms., also i use powerbelt bullets.
FOR WITHOUT HIM WHERE WOULD I BE

Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.
turkeyjv
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:58 pm

turkeyjv, how much does a CVA cost? I know that there various kinds, but what would you recommend for elk or buffalo?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby turkeyjv » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:34 pm

The CVA Kodiak here in Ms. runs about $200.00 in most places. I have never hunted buffalo or elk but sure would love to hunt elk or mule deer. But if you use 3 pellets (150 grains) with a 300 plus powerbelt bullet you would probley have good luck.
FOR WITHOUT HIM WHERE WOULD I BE

Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.
turkeyjv
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:37 pm

Turkeyjv, you would love hunting elk with the men's COFA group. Give me a call or I can call you if you want details, I talked to one guy, and he was shocked at what we do on these hunts.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

New Here but

Postby jhall » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:04 pm

I'm new here but I do have a little expirience with a a front stuffer.
Myself and my son are shooting CVA optima magnums in 50 caliber. This gun is real simular ones mentioned and are in the middle on the price of the two spoken about around $220.
I'm shooting 150 grain Triple seven, 3 pellets, and 250 grain Tipped Barnes MZ bullets and I will not be afraid to shoot an elk at 250 yards with it. I'd rather him be closer of course but according to the ballitics on the load I am shooting I'll still have enough thump at 250 yards. My gun is shooting sub 3" group at 200 yards with this load. I have the Nikon Omega mounted on the gun and love it. I am going to NM in Novewmber and they do allow scoped ML's.
Hope this helps and not hinders your decision.
Johnny
jhall
Greenhorn

Return to Black Powder Hunting