How do you hunt LM season?

Black powder hunters share stories, tips, etc.

Moderator: DaveHawk

How do you hunt LM season?

Postby DaveHawk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I still like hunting close like I'm bow hunting but this year I'll back off 35-40 yards from where I would set my bow stand which is usually right on top of the deer. Va ML season opens Saturday, looking for a nice buck with the smoke pole again.
If God is for me who can be against me.

www.colonialrestorationstudio.com
DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby DaveHawk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Yesterday opener in Va. After 4 years on this farm I have finally found the SWEET SPOT ! Although there are many but none like last night. I did some recon during the day looking for fresh scrapes and found a scrap line that took me to this funnel I had no idea was there. about 70 yards to one side and 40 to the other. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon the precession started. 1st one doe and 15 minutes later 8 doe's then another 4 and 3 then 6 and so one through till dark. I counted 28 doe's and 20 were in bow range. Not one buck. I would have to move about 500 yards further into the woods towards the bedding area to see the bucks before dark. But I now have an ideal location for the rut next weekend.

It was not until I was in the tree that I noticed the drop off on the 70 yard side of the funnel which made the location so ideal.

DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Postby Deerslayer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:31 am

Dave, you see more deer in one evening than some guys I know who hunt in northern WI see over many years of hunting. :grin:
Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Postby DaveHawk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Chris I just pulled the card from my trail cam on a back yard property . The corn ran out about a week ago and still got 60 pictures. I have not pulled the card scene 10/5 and had 334 pic's. Mostly doe's but a regular group of 4 nice 8 point's coming in and a number of smaller bucks. The home owner keeps a look out for me one what is passing through and he said he saw a big buck with more then 12 points yesterday. So I now have something to look for. The group of 8's are 2.5 year olds. I'm letting them grow 2 more years.
The East coast is loaded with deer if you know the areas.

My spot in Va is getting better and better every year. Planting Biologic plots this past year and then the drought but I got lucky. The Fox Tail grasses keep the seeds from dieing and I cut the 8 acre field 2 weeks ago and the biologic's are growing fast. I just can not decide where to hunt next weekend, the new funnel location of the Bio field. LOL

DaveHawk
King of the Mountain

Return to Black Powder Hunting