I am no Dissenter... BUT

This area is for thoughtful doubters and skeptics. If you'd like to argue about the validity of Christianity or the value of hunting and fishing, this is the place.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg, George Reinbold

I am no Dissenter... BUT

Postby Jeremie76 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:15 pm

I am a believer, but I am going to through out the argument my college philosophy professor made against God. The word Omnipotent (meaning all powerful) is a false teaching of anything. If God exhisted could he make a being more powerful than himself? If he can then he is not all powerful anymore... If he can't then he is not all powerful because there's something he can't do.

I am curious as to how any of you would argue on God's side for that? I know how I did... just something to think about.
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

Postby Bubba in FL » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:53 am

Simple reply - from the mathematicians camp........

What is infinity plus one?
"Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Acts 10:13
Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Postby Deerslayer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 am

There are a lot of things that God can't do or more properly won't do. He can't lie, He can't cheat, He can't sin... He is holy and doing those things would go against His holy nature. He basically cannot do anything that goes against any part of His very nature. Being true to His nature does make Him any less God.

Your professor obviously could not fathom the extent of His power. The term "all powerful" means exactly that, there is no possibility of anything being more powerful. Why is that so hard to understand? You have to love it, the creation itself calls into question the existence of the Creator. I guess that was bound to happen when He created us with the ability to reason.

Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"; and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile."
I Corinthians 3:18-20
Deerslayer
Senior Scout

Re: I am no Dissenter... BUT

Postby GeneralHavok » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Jeremie76 wrote:If God exhisted could he make a being more powerful than himself? If he can then he is not all powerful anymore... If he can't then he is not all powerful because there's something he can't do.

God can do anything that it's possible to do. There's no such thing as a round triangle...if a triangle was round, it would stop being a triangle. God can't create a round triangle. That doesn't mean that He's not omnipotent, of course.

It's not possible for a thing to both exist and not exist at the same time. God can't make something and not make it at the same time...that doesn't mean He's not omnipotent.

Most of the time, when someone uses these sorts of arguments, they're not truly arguing against the existence of God. They're arguing against someone's idea of God, and believing that shooting down that belief is a good enough reason to not believe in God themselves. It's a red herring, and doesn't actually address the question of God's existence at all.

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

GeneralHavok
COFA Geek

nice

Postby Jeremie76 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:33 pm

I like your argument General /salute! haha
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to turn" - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

Postby Waidmann » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Actually, Jeremie, I was going to say roughly the same thing GH said, only I was going to use a red apple versus a green one. God could make a red apple, or a green one, but even He can't make a green apple that's red. The sentence contains its own contradiction. Tell him I think he's being silly.

The truth is that your college professor hasn't a clue what "Omnipotent" actually means in the spiritual sense. This can hardly be a surprised, since it requires the illumination of the Holy Spirity to understand the things of the Spirit.

Have fun. Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education (quote from Samuel Clements, aka Mark Twain).

Waidmann
Si nos servaremus in necesariis Unitatem, in non-necessariis Libertatem, in utrisque Charitatem, optimo certe loco essent res nostrae.
Waidmann
City Slicker

Postby oz n bolivia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Omnipotent Adjective 1. Having unlimited power

Onmi is a prefix in the adjective form that:
means non directional
means providing for many things at once
means of all varieties or forms or kinds
Now look at potent! Means:
1) having a strong physiological or chemical effect
{ how many believers over the last two thousand years}

2) (Of a male) Capable of copulation {Case Jesus the Christ}
3) having s wielding force or authority {Sodom
and Gomorrah}
4) Having a great influence. { two billion living believers }

Does your professor understand the meaning of the word omnipotent.

Until he comes face to face with the Spirit of GOD, he will never have a clue of the power GOD.

Psa 92:4 Your mighty deeds, O LORD, make me glad; because of what you have done, I sing for joy.
Psa 92:5 How great are your actions, LORD! How deep are your thoughts!
Psa 92:6 This is something a fool cannot know; someone who is stupid cannot understand:
Psa 92:7 the wicked may grow like weeds, those who do wrong may prosper; yet they will be totally destroyed,

Pro 18:2 A fool does not care whether he understands a thing or not; all he wants to do is show how smart he is.

Pro 26:12 The most stupid fool is better off than those who think they are wise when they are not.

I'm not saying your professor is a fool but wisdom comes from above. He needs to listen to what the Spirit of GOD has to say.

Oz
Blessed is he that believes in Jesus and the FATHER.
oz n bolivia
Trail Guide

Postby Jeremie76 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 pm

This is not a current prof. This is from my philosophy prof back when I was in college in the mid 90's. This is just a thing that I recall and put up for some discussion.
Jeremie76
Trailblazer

Postby richard_a » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:23 am

Yeah - I've seen the question - "Can G-d make a rock that He can't pick up?" I answer it this way ----

He can - and He did exactly that: He made the human mind, and gave it free will. The question is --- does not being able to control something that you made --- make you less perfect? No (in my opinion).

That doesn't make Him any less powerful. He is still "I am." He is still the creator of all things. His attributes are completely independent of our understanding or beliefs of Him.

He is still the epitomy of perfection, and the reason for living.

So then - the professor might ask, "how can this be?" My response - G-d is G-d ---- that's why He said "I am who I am."
richard_a
Junior Scout

Postby Unclebuck257 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 am

What GH said works for me real well. When God Said, "I am the Alpha and the Omega", that about covers it all, ....and everything in between.
Unclebuck257
Senior Scout

Postby TRMichels » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

Quote:

If he can then he is not all powerful anymore...

This is not necessarliy true, there coud be two or more all powerful beings.

Is it conundrum???
T.R. Michels
TRMichels@Yahoo.com
Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting Magazine Website
www.TRMichels.com
TRMichels
Trailblazer

Return to Dissenters