Word of the Day, October 11, 2018, Psalm 106:48

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, October 11, 2018, Psalm 106:48

Postby Marty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 am

Word of the Day, October 11, 2018

“ Hallelu, hallelu, hallelu, Hallelujah! Praise ye the Lord! Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah. Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah. Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah. Praise ye the Lord!”

Psalm 106:48

48 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the LORD.

As I read Psalm 106 today I saw how we fall from GOD so often, how we do not trust in His word, how we worship our own gods, how abandoned the LORD, how we mingle among the heathens, how we went whoring with our own inventions and how we provoked our Father GOD.

Do we say Amen for who GOD is, for what He does for us, for everything we have and for everlasting to everlasting? Do we praise ye the LORD?

Let’s look at Chapter 106 and what Israel did even though GOD provided and protected them even though they forgot Him until they needed Him. They had done wicked, they did not remember nor understand the wonders in Egypt, and remembering not the parting of the Red Sea. I like this word and what GOD did; Nevertheless, GOD saved them for His namesake.

Guess what they did next? They sang His praises after the Red Sea, after they were saved by the hands of those that hated them and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy. Then they soon forgot His words and did not wait for GOD’s counsel. They lusted exceedingly and they tempted GOD in the desert. GOD gave them their request, but with leanness into their souls.

During their time in the wilderness, the sin was so bad from some of the Israelites that the earth swallowed them up, literally covered them up, buried alive. Fire burned them also. They made molten images. They forgot GOD their Saviour. GOD was ready to destroy them and Moses stood for his people.

How about you and me, do we need and remember GOD when times are great or just when we need Him because of trials and troubles in our lives. I saw this in Canaan. Men would find Christ when they first came and after some short amount of time, nowhere to be seen crying out to GOD. In the desert times of our lives or the highs of our lives on the mountaintops, we are to seek, praise and give the glory to our GOD always.

They murmured, they believed not and did not hearkened unto the voice of the LORD. They did not follow His commands to destroy the enemies, but the mingled among them and learned their works and ways. They served their idols, which became snares to them. They even sacrificed their sons and daughters unto their devils, shedding innocent blood, even the blood of their own children. They became defiled with their own works and went whoring with their own inventions.

Again, Nevertheless GOD gave His multitude of His mercies. He remembered His covenant. He kept His promises, His word to Israel. The Psalmist is saying here as He speaks to GOD that they have sinned so much, yet GOD keeps His word to them.

I believe this chapter can be divided into three key sections that we can apply for our self. The first section there is a Call to Praise. The second section is a Confession of Sins. The third section is asking GOD to Save and Gather them and to Give Thanks and to GOD’s Triumph.

What a lesson we can learn from this chapter and apply to ourselves. We walk away from GOD with our sin, our backsliding, our lack of trust, our pride, our own desires for ourselves, our lack of prayer and the lack of reading of His word daily.

What a change of our thought process, our desire to serve Him, to put Him first if we would just speak these words to Him each and every morning. “ Save us, O Lord our GOD, and gather us from among the heathen, to give thanks unto thy holy name, and to triumph in thy praise. Blessed be the LORD GOD of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the LORD.”

“ Praise ye the Lord, Praise ye the Lord; praise God in His sanctuary, praise Him in His mighty heaven. Praise ye the Lord, Praise ye the Lord; let everything that hath breath praise ye the Lord.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology