Word of the Day, September 13, 2018, Psalm 79:9

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, September 13, 2018, Psalm 79:9

Postby Marty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 am

Word of the Day, September 13, 2018

“ As I bow my head before you, I lay my burdens down at your nail pierced feet, Every ounce of you radiates your glory, With you I know that I'm complete. And I sing Hallelujah, You are my God, Maker of the heavens, Hallelujah, You are my lord, I bow before your presence.”

Psalm 79:9

9 Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.

Today’s Word of the day is titled, Do we? Do we cry out to GOD to help us? Do we cry out to GOD to lead us? Do we cry out to GOD for forgiveness of our sins? Do we cry out to GOD to praise Him or do we cry out to GOD because we want something or only when we are on a sinking ship?

Do we seek GOD? Do we talk with GOD daily? Do we read His word and study it daily? Do we believe that GOD is our Father? Do we believe in only Him or do we have our gods in our lives? Do we have a prayer life with GOD? Do we go to His house of worship? Do we thank Him for His son’s life that was given on the cross for us?

Do we ever just stop and think about whom GOD is and that death is beaten because of Christ His son? Hallelujah, it is finished and ALL to You the highest praise.

A little history of this verse and chapter. This Psalm was written during the destruction of Jerusalem during the Babylonian captivity and is considered a companion psalm or as some people call them, a poem to Psalm 74. (Please read if you get a chance today) The psalmist was crying out to GOD and petitioning Him for deliverance of GOD’s people and retribution on their enemies that had taken everything from them.

If you read both psalms (74 and 79), Asaph starts them both out with “O GOD”! His cry was for the destruction of the heathen enemies. I believe that he knew GOD and his complaint was born of his faith in GOD. Do we cry out to GOD and say O GOD when we seek Him?

Psalm 74:12: 12 For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.

Do we know GOD enough to cry out to Him? The psalmist knew GOD based upon calling Him “my King of old.” He knew GOD’s history and covenant with the Israelites. He knew that GOD would restore His people if they would just return to Him.

As I traveled a few years ago, I remember a billboard that said this. I am a child of GOD. Know it, Love it and Live it. Do we know and believe that we are a child of GOD? Do we love this and do we live like we are child of GOD?

The psalmist finishes with this: “ 3 So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture will give thee thanks for ever: we will shew forth thy praise to all generations.” Do we know GOD? If we do know GOD, do we show forth our praises?

If you are not a believer in the saving Grace of GOD, seek Him today, turn to Him for forgiveness of all your sins and in Christ, the only place, you can and will truly find peace, joy and everlasting life. As believers, do we live this way for GOD? Do we believe? Do we turn to GOD? Do we cry out, O GOD?

“ Hallelujah death is beaten. Christ has risen from the grave. Hallelujah it is finished. All to you the highest praise. Hallelujah death is beaten. Christ has risen from the grave. Hallelujah now and forever. All to you the highest praise.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology