Word of the Day, October 12, 2017, Acts 9:16

This section is for the discussion of Christian theology only.
Arguments against the Christian religion belong in the Dissenters Forum.

Moderators: GeneralHavok, pastorgreg

Word of the Day, October 12, 2017, Acts 9:16

Postby Marty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 am

Word of the Day, October 12, 2017

“ Clothed in rainbows of living color, flashes of lighting rolls of thunder. Blessing and honor strength and glory and power be. To You the only wise King. Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty. Who was and is and is to come. With all creation I sing praise to the King of kings. You are my everything and I will adore You.”

Acts 9:16

16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Throughout Paul’s ministry, he was living martyrdom. Paul spoke of many of his sufferings for Christ in his letter to the Corinthians, especially in chapter 4. At Paul’s conversation on his walk to Damascus, Jesus told Paul in Acts 9:16, how great he must suffer for Christ’s namesake. The sufferings began immediately and continued for his whole ministry, some 30 plus years.

Here is a list of some of Paul’s sufferings: They plotted to kill him in Damascus (Acts 9:24), and again in Jerusalem (Acts 9:29). They drove him out of Antioch (Acts 13:50) and they attempted to stone him in Iconium (Acts 13:50). They did stone him and left him for dead in Lystra (Acts 14:19). In Philippi they beat Paul with rods and put him in stocks (Acts 16:23-24).

In Thessalonica, the Jews and lewd fellows of the baser sort tried to mob Paul (Acts 17:5) and then he was driven out of Berea (Acts 17:13-14). The Jews plotted against him in Corinth and brought him to the judgment seat (Acts 18:12). Again Paul was almost killed in Ephesus (Acts 19:29 & 2 Corinthians 1:8-9), and in Corinth, they tried to plot to kill Paul (Acts 20:3).

In Jerusalem a Roman soldier rescued Paul before the Jews made an attempt on Paul’s life again (Acts 22). He was in prison in Caesarea for two years and two more in Rome and a total of over 5 1/2 years in prisons. Finally, Paul was taken to Rome to be executed as a criminal (2 Timothy 2:9).

Paul had amazing endurance for Christ’s sake. He sang and prayed as he suffered (Acts 16:25). He continued with a thorn in his side for the Kingdom. What do we do? Complain! We get upset if someone talks about us. We get mad if we don’t get recognized for all the work we do for the church? We get mad and leave the church because we don’t like the carpet or the music or the temperature. What fools we are. We should think about this before we open our mouths. Give GOD all the glory like Paul did and can we image what growth the Kingdom can have.

“ Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory. Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory. Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory, Children of the Lord.”

Timothy P. Furness
Marty
Trail Guide

Return to Christian Theology