The Last Day of Fishing in Florida 2007

Saltwater fisherman share stories, tips, etc.

Have you ever fished in Florida?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

The Last Day of Fishing in Florida 2007

Postby Bob Brooks » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi, I'm Bob Brooks. I have lived in North Ft Myers Florida since 1972.
I traveled with my father and family all over the world since I was a little boy. He was in the Army and we fortunately got to travel with him to some of the countries he was assigned to. While we were growing up, Dad would always take us fishing when ever he could. His most favorite spot was in Minnesota. That's where he grew up and all his family and friends still lived there. So even though we could be living in Washington State, we would go to Minnesota for vacation and fishing. I never ever heard of him tell a story like the one I am going to tell.
It was December 31st, 2007. I was off that day, and all my friends and children were working. So I decided to go fishing, and make a day out of it. I made a couple big sandwiches, took some sodas some water.
There was some food left over from our Christmas Party we had at the house. So I took some chicken wings and summer sausage with cheese in it. Crackers too. I left my float plan on the kitchen counter and off I went.
I stopped by to get some bait ( shrimp ) and drove to where I keep my boat. Loaded it up, and off I went 7 o'clock in the morning. I wasn't planning on catching any big lunkers, sharks or anything like that. I just wanted to catch a couple keepers of anything and bring them home. I went about 26 miles by boat to a place that is called Sanibel Island. It is located at the mouth of the Caloosahatchie River. You can catch anything
by accident there. But you have to be there at the right time.
So, I threw out the anchor, and started getting my stuff ready. That's when I first saw my bait I had just purchased. They were the smallest shrimp I had ever seen. I guess it is my fault that I didn't look at what I just paid $15.00 for. But I had been doing business there for years. So I couldn't get discouraged, I was fishing. Not a worry in the world. Put a couple of those things on at one time. Well I sat there for about 2 hours. Had a few bites and caught some small ones. And the bait was looking pretty slim. I had forgotten I had not eaten yet. So I opened the cooler and pulled out my sandwich and began my feast.
I was about finished and I remembered I had some chicken wings in a small bag in the cooler. I put one on my hook and threw it out there. About 10 minutes I had a bite. I put another one on and another bite. There must have been some small stuff down there, but I was having a good time. So when I put on the summer sausage with cheese in it on the hook, it would be a long shot. Well in 5 minutes I caught an 18 inch Grouper, They have to be 22 inches before they are a keeper.
But what a great day for the last day of 2007.
If you learn anything from this little story, always leave a float plan
with someone to let them know where you will be, incase you run into trouble. Yes we have cell phones. Yes we have marine radios. But if for some reason they aren't working, it is always good to leave a float plan.
Would your plans include falling overboard? Well in one of my many trips I fell overboard and my cell phone was in my pocket and my marine phone was in the boat. Fortunately I could swim to my boat, but had a very hard time getting in. God was with me on that day. It was a close, close call....... Thank You.........Bob Brooks

Fishing

Postby LJ Whitson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:08 am

Hello Bob,

Great story! How well I remember those times with my dad. Our fishing places were California and Arkansas. Been deep sea fishing a couple of times but both times got sick so gave up on that kind of fishing.
Your certainly right about been prepared for anything, though sometimes it's hard to think of everything. Some of the scariest times were when we
got caught on the water during a thunder storm. Anyway, enjoyed your story, and if you think of more stories please share them.

God Bless, LJWhitson
I
LJ Whitson
Trail Guide

Postby chuck7 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi, I'm Bob Brooks. I have lived in North Ft Myers Florida since 1972. Hey Bob..I'm from Lakeland.. :grin: I traveled with my father and family all over the world since I was a little boy. He was in the Army and we fortunately got to travel with him to some of the countries he was assigned to. While we were growing up, Dad would always take us fishing when ever he could. His most favorite spot was in Minnesota. That's where he grew up and all his family and friends still lived there. So even though we could be living in Washington State, we would go to Minnesota for vacation and fishing. I never ever heard of him tell a story like the one I am going to tell.
It was December 31st, 2007. I was off that day, and all my friends and children were working. So I decided to go fishing, and make a day out of it. I made a couple big sandwiches, took some sodas some water.
There was some food left over from our Christmas Party we had at the house. So I took some chicken wings and summer sausage with cheese in it. Crackers too. I left my float plan on the kitchen counter and off I went.
I stopped by to get some bait ( shrimp ) and drove to where I keep my boat. Loaded it up, and off I went 7 o'clock in the morning. I wasn't planning on catching any big lunkers, sharks or anything like that. I just wanted to catch a couple keepers of anything and bring them home. I went about 26 miles by boat to a place that is called Sanibel Island. SANIBEL!!!!Gorgeous place brother!! It is located at the mouth of the Caloosahatchie River. You can catch anything
by accident there. But you have to be there at the right time.
So, I threw out the anchor, and started getting my stuff ready. That's when I first saw my bait I had just purchased. They were the smallest shrimp I had ever seen. I guess it is my fault that I didn't look at what I just paid $15.00 for. But I had been doing business there for years. So I couldn't get discouraged, I was fishing. Not a worry in the world. Put a couple of those things on at one time. Well I sat there for about 2 hours. Had a few bites and caught some small ones. And the bait was looking pretty slim. I had forgotten I had not eaten yet. So I opened the cooler and pulled out my sandwich and began my feast.
I was about finished and I remembered I had some chicken wings in a small bag in the cooler. I put one on my hook and threw it out there. :grin: About 10 minutes I had a bite. I put another one on and another bite. There must have been some small stuff down there, but I was having a good time. So when I put on the summer sausage with cheese in it on the hook, it would be a long shot. Well in 5 minutes I caught an 18 inch Grouper, They have to be 22 inches before they are a keeper. neat man!!
But what a great day for the last day of 2007.
If you learn anything from this little story, always leave a float plan
with someone to let them know where you will be, incase you run into trouble. Yes we have cell phones. Yes we have marine radios. But if for some reason they aren't working, it is always good to leave a float plan.
Would your plans include falling overboard? Well in one of my many trips I fell overboard and my cell phone was in my pocket and my marine phone was in the boat. Fortunately I could swim to my boat, but had a very hard time getting in. God was with me on that day. It was a close, close call....... Thank You.........Bob Brooks
Great story Bob!!_________________
"His mercies are new EVERY morning."
chuck7
Senior Scout

Return to Saltwater Fishing