Penn rod and reel..

Saltwater fisherman share stories, tips, etc.

Penn rod and reel..

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:59 pm

I've been looking at some Penn rods & reels and could use a little help. This rod will be used mostly for Chesapeake Bay rockfish & bluefish w/ some light trolling. The 2 models are the 220GTO & the 230GTO. Any help is greatly appreciated. The 230 is a lot bigger than the 220, but other than the specs I listed below, I really don't know which to go w/.

I know the GTO isn't the best Penn out there, but I've got a 20% off coupon for either GOT and figured I'd go for it. Thanks in advance.
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Re: Penn rod and reel..

Postby MotuMikey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:55 am

Mike Brooks wrote:I've been looking at some Penn rods & reels and could use a little help. This rod will be used mostly for Chesapeake Bay rockfish & bluefish w/ some light trolling. The 2 models are the 220GTO & the 230GTO. Any help is greatly appreciated. The 230 is a lot bigger than the 220, but other than the specs I listed below, I really don't know which to go w/.

I know the GTO isn't the best Penn out there, but I've got a 20% off coupon for either GOT and figured I'd go for it. Thanks in advance.

I've always trusted and used Penn reels (and rods), but I don't know about the GTO series.

I was just on a trip around Kauai and the charter was using Penn International 130 VSX reels. These are supposed to have exceptional drag adjustments for big game fish, but I had a marlin run out the entire spool...couldn't slow him down. A deck hand eventually clamped down on the last yard of 150lb. line and the fish snapped it like it was overcooked pasta.
"No man is an Island"
--John Donne
MotuMikey
City Slicker

Postby Mike Brooks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:03 pm

that's a great story, have you ever caught a shark on a Penn? And how did it perform..
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby MotuMikey » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 am

Mike Brooks wrote:that's a great story, have you ever caught a shark on a Penn? And how did it perform..

My primary (favorite) reel for salt water fishing--when I'm fishing on my own, not with a charter--is a Penn spinning reel. I like the feel and versatility of a spinning reel versus a baitcast. It allows me to fish several different ways with many types of baits without having to switch rods/reels.

I have caught sharks...small 4-5 ft. while bottom fishing off the California coast. They actually don't fight as well as sport fish when on the line, but it's always exciting to pull one into the boat. The Penn reels, at least in my experience, have always performed great and met or exceeded my expectations...whether hauling in a halibut, tussling with a tuna or finessing a sand bass.
"No man is an Island"
--John Donne
MotuMikey
City Slicker

Postby Rebel Hog » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:38 pm

Well back in the 50's we had the 26 footer docked at Clearwater Marina, FL and it was rigged for King Fish trolling.

My father had two 7-1/2' Taylor Made Solid Black glass rods with Penn "Long Beach" #66 reels on them. Those two rod & reels caught more King Fish than I care to count!

I Still have one of them rigged with the old Penns. :grin:
Jesus said, "he who stands firm to the end will be saved" Mark 13:13.
www.floridaconservation.org/
Rebel Hog
Senior Scout

penn reels

Postby muleskinner » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:50 am

I believe that was a Penn 245 GTO a fellow had on the rig a couple hitches ago I tried it out and I really liked it he had 120 pound test line on it. I myself have a winch it is an old Penn 6-0 I runn 150 line on it and reeled in a 126 pound tuna a while back that was fun but i do like the penn reels.
Galatians 2:20
muleskinner
Junior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:41 am

quick question, how long do you leave the old line on, do you change it every year? I can't imagine 150 test line, I use 8 pound test for walleyes and northern Pike.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Rebel Hog » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:49 am

Mike Brooks wrote:quick question, how long do you leave the old line on, do you change it every year? I can't imagine 150 test line, I use 8 pound test for walleyes and northern Pike.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do you change it every year?
Rebel Hog
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 am

no, I usually will change it every other year, but is the heaver line need a yearly change, with some of the pictures of the fish I have seen, I was wondering?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Rebel Hog » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 am

Mike Brooks wrote:no, I usually will change it every other year, but is the heaver line need a yearly change, with some of the pictures of the fish I have seen, I was wondering?

I normally check it for nicks.....If it is still good and smoothe.....It's a keeper.. :lol: :lol:

Now in the old days.......with braided Nylon and Dacron, that was another story.......it got changed often! :grin: :grin:
Rebel Hog
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 am

I remember my dad with the old fishing line, always checking it out in the spring time, good memories, the smell of the fresh water lakes in Minnesota...yep the good ole days.
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Fishing