Surf Fishing in January?

Saltwater fisherman share stories, tips, etc.

Surf Fishing in January?

Postby Xi Bowhunter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm

I have posted this question on other forums, but I thought I may get some more information here as well.

My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary at Panama City Beach in Mid-January. Not the best time of year to visit the beach, I know, but we just wanted a nice place to get away for a week, and get away from the cold KY weather.

My question is, what can I expect to catch from the beaches of Panama City Beach in January? I am big on surf fishing, but I have never tried it that time of year.

What types of rigs should I use? I usually do pretty good with fish-finder rigs, but should I try pompano rigs for pompano that time of year?

I have heard that blues, redfish, whiting, flounder, and pompano are the main species of fish cursing the beach that time of year. Which one of those species should I target that would be the most abundant?

Thanks for any replies!
Xi Bowhunter
Greenhorn

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Xi, have you ever fished on the beaches? Sounds really fun! Is that at night or during the day? Just wondering..
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Xi Bowhunter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 am

Mike Brooks wrote:Xi, have you ever fished on the beaches? Sounds really fun! Is that at night or during the day? Just wondering..

Fishing from the beach is just about all I do when I go to FL. It is just usually during the warmer months when we are there. I fish mostly in the evening and night, but the early morning bite is usually good too. You can fish during the day, but usually there are too many swimmers around to do that.

We catch plenty of shark, rays, catfish, whiting, and bluefish from the beach right behind the condo we stay at.
Xi Bowhunter
Greenhorn

Postby Mike Brooks » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 am

Xi, how is fall fishing in Florida? I know fall fishing in Minnesota and wisconsin is great for walleye, it should be great here in Colorado. I will be going out when I get back from my trip next week.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Bob Brooks » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:55 am

This time of year is pretty good for all types of fishing. The Snook have been co operating and the Reds have been more than abundant. They have been coming to the shore line 7 to 8 feet deep and will even come to where you can see their fins sticking out of the water. If the bait fish are shallow, the game fish will come in to get them. The blue crabs have been great. More than usuall because of all the rain and cold temperatures we had last year. The rain water kind of mixes in with the ocean water and this has some biological mixture. I don't know why. Just what the paper says " Is so ". Take it to the bank. Now we do have a problem with the Snook. Last year we lost thousands do to long lasting cold temperatures. So they may close the season for Snook until next year. So we have to see FWC has to say next month. Have a Great day.........Bob Brooks
in North Fort mYers Florida..........................
It's the little moments that make life big
Bob Brooks
Greenhorn

Postby Xi Bowhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Mike Brooks wrote:Xi, how is fall fishing in Florida? I know fall fishing in Minnesota and wisconsin is great for walleye, it should be great here in Colorado. I will be going out when I get back from my trip next week.

The fall fishing is great! The beaches are full of sharks, rays, blues, whiting, ladyfish, and maybe even a pompano or two.

We went in September, and I did a lot of fishing in the bays and intercoastal waterway. We caught spanish several days, with two nice slot reds caught, and several ladyfish. I was fishing HARD for specks, but I never caught one. I talked to a local that caught 15 in one afternoon, but I could not get one to bite to save my life.
Xi Bowhunter
Greenhorn

Return to Saltwater Fishing