Are trolling motors good for salt water fishing?

Saltwater fisherman share stories, tips, etc.

Are trolling motors good for salt water fishing?

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 am

Just wondering with open deep sea fishing, any thoughts?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Carroll B » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Mike if you're talking electric trolling motor then no. In the spring tournament I fish in with my son we typically troll for 8-10 hours a day. We are in a 26 foot boat that tips the scales at 8000 pounds. The electric motor wouldn't even reach the water over the transom. On some saltwater rigs guys run a small "kicker" motor about 8-10 hp while they're trolling so save fuel on the big outboards.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks Carroll, I was wondering how the saltwater boys fished slowly, so thanks for that info! Blessings :cool:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Carroll B » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:05 am

My son re-powered his boat about 3 years ago with a 350 mercruiser. His boat is an inboard. There is a small paddle wheel on her. You can set the trolling speed to say 3 MPH. If you head into the wind or into the current flow the electronics on the engine along with the paddle wheel will automatically maintain the 3 MPH speed you set. It's pretty slick. I'm looking forward to fishing with him and three other guys in the spring salt water tournament ithe first weekend in May. We typically catch striped bass in the 20-30 pound range.
A blood donor saved my life. Matt 26:28

For info on my daily devotional book for men look up "Reel Peace on the Chesapeake Bay" on Amazon.com
Carroll B
Senior Scout

Postby Bob Brooks » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:34 am

On almost every flats boat you will find a electric trolling motor. Flats boats draw about 4 to 8 inches of water. They can go very close to sand bars and along back bays along the mangroves. Mangroves are wild bushes that grow along back bays or inlets and are federaly protected. If you are planning on building a beautiful retirement home on a canal somewhere and put a sea wall up, forget it if it has mangroves in the back yard. The governemnt will not let you tear down the mangroves. You can still build a home there, but wont have that special veiw. The mangroves have a root sytem that hangs down in the water off branches from the base of the tree or bush and attracts small crushstations, which attract small bait fish, which attracts big fish. Such as Snook or Reds ( Red Fish ). And of coarse other bigger fish. They have come out with a new contrapsion that mostly is mounted on the back of you flats boat. It is an electric pole. Instead of anchoring when you fine a good spot in the shallows, you push a button and out goes the pole and sticks in the bottom. Less noise, less fuss, and very easy to operate. They run about $1000.00. I get along just fine with my little John Boat or my Deck Boat. Mike and Carol have been in my Deck Boat, and there is plenty of room.
Bob Brooks
It's the little moments that make life big
Bob Brooks
Greenhorn

Return to Saltwater Fishing