Snook fishing??

Saltwater fisherman share stories, tips, etc.

Snook fishing??

Postby Mike Brooks » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 am

Anyone ever try snook fishing?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am

My brother tried it said it was a blast, anyone else think the same thing?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not into your own understanding, Proverbs 3:5
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Bubba in FL » Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 am

They are a blast to catch and quite tasty as well. Perhaps we can hook up (no pun intended) next time you are down and try to catch a few.
"Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Acts 10:13
Bubba in FL
Trail Guide

Snook fishing from Bob Brooks

Postby Mike Brooks » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Mike Brooks wrote:
When is the best time to go? What kind of tackle and gear should you have? Where is the best place to go?

In my experience with fishing for Snook ( one of the most sought after
fish in Florida ) the best time to be fishing for them is with a moving tide.
Some people prefer an incoming tide.( That is when the water is coming back in from the Gulf of Mexico.) filling your bays and inlets with fresh water. Making the bait fish and other species move about. And ofcoarse some people prefer the out going tide. ( That is when it goes back out to the Gulf of Mexico ) They seem to like their bait clean and not with a lot of
garbage on the line.( wires, beads, clips, secured weights, just something that deosn't look natural ) Mono is the best. If you are fishing near pilings with barnicals on them, use about a 20lb test leader, about three feet long. The fish will run for the pilings and cut your line. And don't have any drag set on your reel. If it can run, you will loose it in the pilings for sure.
Now if you are an artifical bait user, you still have to have a leader, about 20lb test and about 3 feet long. This fish will roll and jump and do anything it can to free itself from being caught. Their gills are razor sharp and can cut the line with one quick motion. And here's the kicker about Snook. When I first moved to Florida ( 1972 ) you could catch 4 Snook.
They had to be at least 18 inches in length or larger. Todays slot size has gone to
between 27 inches to 34 inches. If they are any smaller, you catch and release. If they are any larger ( monsters ) you catch and release And they have made it a seasonal time to fish for them. If you are caught with an illegal Snook, you will be heavily fined . If you are unfortunatley
caught in your boat, say good bye to your boat and all items in it. They will thump you.
So happy fishing for Snook when you get a chance. Bob Brooks
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Bob Brooks » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Another way of Snook fishing is called Swishing. It is not very popular any more. In fact, a lot of people have never heard of it. In the old days when I first moved to Florida ( 1972 ) I met an old guy by the name of Paul. He was small in stature, was about 70, and I think he shaved about once a week, if he needed it or not. He had all kinds of fishing stories. Sort of like an older gentleman I met in Ridgeway Colorado when I was on a hunting trip with my brother ( Mike ) and other COFA members. Harrison was about the same age as Paul, and was one best story tellers I have ever met. They could keep a group of people on the edge of their seats for hours, just telling about the times they had hunting and fishing before ATVs and campers were here.
So anyway, Paul taught me how to Swish Fish. At first I thought I was going to be dooped like going Snipe Hunting with my Dad and brothers when I was a kid. But there was actually a method to swish fishing. If you took a Calcutta Pole ( long cane pole ) and cut eight feet out of the middle,
you had a swish pole. You took one hundred pound test line and started tieing it to the butt end of the pole and worked your way up to the tip of the pole. Your pole was eight feet long and had eight feet of line. Then you would get your preference of a big lure. Red and white combo, or something flashy. After tieing it on you go by the docks or a bridge and start swishing in a figure eight. Again, timing and tide has to be right. But by going in a figure eight pattern, if there were any fish around, the noise would erritate them and sooner or later they would attack your lure. Why one hundred pound test? When you have a Snook grab your line, you do not want to loose him. The hundred pound for strength to pull him in and keep him away from any pillings that would be near your fishing area. You don't use a net. He hits, you fight, you get him out of the water as fast as you can. We would fish for hours. Sometimes we caught something. Sometimes we didn't. Why start tieing at the buttend of your calcutta pole? In case it broke, your extra line helped you get your fish from getting away. Thanks for reading..............Bob Brooks
It's the little moments that make life big
Bob Brooks
Greenhorn

Postby GeneralHavok » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Mike asked me to post this picture of Bob with a fish.

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

GeneralHavok
COFA Geek

Postby Mike Brooks » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am

Bob let see some more pictures, wish dad could have fished with us in Florida!
Mike Brooks
Site Admin

Postby Lizette » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 am

That's fun way to go Snook fishing.
Lizette
Junior Scout

Return to Saltwater Fishing